Waiting for Popiah

No comments :
Near my office in Singapore, there is a hawker center called Golden Shoe. It is above a car park with little ventilation, and if you go during lunch hours, it is almost impossible to find a seat. I know I can trust it because I see very few people like me there (foreigners). My coworker once picked up popiah for me from one of the stalls, and now I stop by about once a week. One wrap costs about $1.40 and it’s a nice midday snack to pick up with coffee. I’m not quite sure how to describe popiah; it’s kind of like a thin wrap filled with crunchy and soft goodness and sweet sauce. You’ll just have to try it.

When I was younger, every time we went to Singapore, my grandmother, mother, sister and I would go to a family friend’s home to make popiah. We’d sit around a round table and carefully assemble the ingredients, careful not to overstuff the thin wrap. Since my move to Singapore, I’ve tried many many different popiah stalls. While no pre-made popiah will ever bring me back to sitting around that table, this hawker stall’s popiah does come close in taste.



No comments :